Monday 28 September 2015

Sports

It's an exciting time for sports in North America. Football is underway, the NHL is about to start and Major League baseball is heading towards the playoffs. For those of you who know me, you know that I'm a big sports fan. It's one of the things I miss most about home, especially this year with the Jays going to the post-season for the first time in 22 years.

Believe it or not, but it's actually easier for me to watch North American sports in Papua New Guinea than it was in France. Early on Monday mornings, I can watch a couple of NFL games and everyday there is a baseball game at 9:00am. They usually show the Yankees, so I got to watch the Jays beat the Yankees last week. I've done some research and I should be able to watch 2 NHL games a week, once the World Series is over.

It's an exciting time for sports on this side of the world as well. Every weekend I can watch Rugby and Australian Rules Football. I have discovered that there are two types of Rugby in the world, Rugby Union and Rugby League. Rugby League is by far the most popular sport in Papua New Guinea and I am fast becoming a fan myself. After visiting Brisbane, I picked the Brisbane Broncos as my favourite team and they happen to be in the National Rugby League final next Sunday. My apologies to Bronco fans because now that I'm cheering for them, I'm sure they won't win. I don't follow the Australian Football League as closely, but their final is next Saturday, so it will be a big sports weekend in Australia and PNG.

Lori and I are heading to Singapore tomorrow for 10 days. Lori has to attend meetings and I'm tagging along, so I'll have to find a spot there to watch those games as well as playoff baseball. Go Jays and Go Broncos.

db

No comments:

Post a Comment