Saturday 12 March 2016

McGinty's

Lori stayed in Port Moresby this weekend so I'm on my own. We've had a lot of rain lately (I got soaked twice this week) so I was going a bit stir crazy. When the weather cleared on Saturday afternoon, I decided to get out and have some fun. A few days ago, I spotted an Irish Bar a few blocks away. Now, between being in the Navy, going on holidays and our latest adventure, I have seen a lot of the world and I can say with confidence that there are 2 things you can find anywhere in the world - the first is a Chinese restaurant and the other is an Irish Pub. This doesn't mean that they are always good, but they are everywhere. This place looked like the real deal so I checked it out and I was very happy I did. The criteria I use to judge a pub is: a) can they pour a proper pint and b) is there live music. McGinty's is a yes on both fronts.
They have a folk showcase on Saturday afternoons. Everybody shows up with guitars, mandolins, accordions and flutes. They just sit around the table and play. It's a little like a Newfoundland kitchen party and when they played Sonny's Dream, it really felt like I was back in St. John's. Of course, that changed when I walked outside and there wasn't any fog.

db


1 comment:

  1. Hi Dennis. Ya know, I remember a time when a cold Molson Golden that wasn't skunky made you a happy fellow,😀

    ReplyDelete