Monday 18 November 2013

Things Forgotten

I'm enjoying my time in Newfoundland and I'm getting lots of things done. The weather has been great. I didn't expect it to be this warm in November. Lorraine is taking good care of me. Between the fish cakes, cod au gratin and beef stew, I should be happily slipping into a food coma any day now.

Whenever I'm away for an extended period of time, either now or when I was in the navy, I always think about things I miss. A certain type of beer or food, watching hockey and spending time with friends and family are always at the top of the list. There are always things about life in Canada that I forget about though. 

One of the things that caught me off guard this time is Christmas commercials in the middle of November. Do we really need to hear about the 'Ho Ho Hold The Payment Event' for two months. I always forget that there are no more pennies in Canada as well. It's nice not to have a pocket full of useless pennies but now I have a pocket full of nickels. One of the best things about being home that I forgot about was the concept of personal space. It's so nice not to have someone standing so close that we could share a coat.

db

No comments:

Post a Comment