Sunday 21 December 2014

Bière de Noël

For our trip to Strasbourg last week, we took the high speed TGV train and when I say high speed, I mean high speed. While we were on board, it topped out at 319 km/h. Anyway, because we were on the train, I took advantage and brought home lots of beer. The Alsace region is the home of beer in France. There are lots of craft breweries and brew pubs and they all brew Christmas beer. It's usually stronger than normal and they will add spices like cinnamon and cloves or things like vanilla and orange peel. Here's a selection of what I'll be enjoying this week.
From left to right they are Noël du Trappeur from Quebec (I actually bought this in Paris a couple of weeks ago), La Noël from Brasserie Storig in Schiltigheim, Papi Klintz from Brasserie Uberach in Uberach, Bière de Noël also from Uberach, Bière de Noël from Perle in Strasbourg and Bière de Noël from Abbaye du Val-Dieu in Belgium (there was a Belgian market in Strasbourg).

I must say that I am really enjoying the Christmas season in Paris this year. I just feel more comfortable with the language and the culture and the food. It is not wintery at all, but the lights, decorations and markets make it feel like Christmas. The beer helps too.

db

No comments:

Post a Comment