Friday 8 February 2013

The Bloom is Off The Rose

I am not in love with Paris this morning. Our weekend getaway has gotten off to a disastrous start. We were to take the train to Charles de Gaulle airport and fly to Strasbourg. Our train wasn't running however, due to an accident on the line. We listened to the announcement, read it on the screens, looked at the map and decided a taxi was our best option. Unfortunately so did thousands of other people.

I'm not sure if traffic is like that every Friday evening or if it was because two train lines weren't running, but it was unbelievable. I've been in big cities before (New York, Mexico City, London) and I have never, ever seen a mess like that. It took also most an hour to find an empty cab and that was only because Lori weaved through four lanes of traffic to grab it before someone else (fortunately traffic was stopped at a light). Then it took almost an hour to get to the airport. Needless to say, we missed our flight and we couldn't get another one until this afternoon. I couldn't bear the thought of getting back into a cab and going back into that mess just to do it all over again today, so our first night away was in the airport hotel.

I'm sure once we get to Strasbourg and I calm down, everything will be great and my post on Monday will be much more upbeat. I'm just very frustrated right now. It wasn't all bad news though. The woman at Air France was very nice and very helpful. We had a great meal at the hotel restaurant as well. Sometimes life happens and you just have to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment