Saturday 2 February 2013

Unwritten Rules

Hi everyone, Lori here.  Thanks for following along with us. 

We've been in Paris a week and are slowly finding our way through this new adventure.  Here are the unwritten rules I've picked up so far. 

On the Metro
1.  Folding seats near the doors can only be used when the train is not full (that means never).
2.  The bendy bits where the cars connect is the only uncrowded place on the train.  They are generally occupied only by men, as they are treacherous for anyone wearing heels.  But I've weighed my claustrophobia against danger in heels and have opted to stand there anyway.  I have learned that I can stand on my toes for 20 minutes.  I'm calling that exercise.

On Escalators
3.   There are always two lanes - you stand on the right and the passing (walking) lane is on the left.  Do this even if you are the only one on the escalator.  
4.  The stairs next to the escalator are always faster.

On Elevators
5.  When you get on you must say Bonjour.  When you get off you must say Bon Journee.
6.  Like Calgary, men will let women on and off the elevator first.
7.  Like the Metro, maximum occupancy is a lot more maximum than I'm used too. 

Good manners are very important here!

LMB

No comments:

Post a Comment