Monday 18 March 2013

Brussels

We had another great weekend away. The train to and from Brussels worked great. We still haven't fully adapted to train travel though. We are so used to air travel with full body scanners, pat-downs and bag searches. With a train, you just get on and enjoy the ride. The conductors come by later to punch your ticket. It's great.

Belgium is a lot like Canada is some ways. There are two distinct groups of people, who speak different languages, living in the same country. The Flemish, who speak Dutch, live in the North and the Walloons, who speak French, live in the south. Also like Canada, there can be tension between the two groups.

Brussels is a grittier city and more of a party town than I thought it would be. Not that it's a bad thing, I just had a different vision in my head. Being the capital of the European Union and the home of NATO's headquarters, I thought it would be a little more reserved but it sounded like Mardi Gras just outside our hotel on Friday night.

Even though we were in Belgium, we ended up in a restaurant that specialized in Swiss cuisine on Friday night. Doesn't matter where I am, I'll take bread and melted cheese anytime.


On Saturday, we toured the city and ended up in a little restaurant over looking the Grand Place square. It was perfect for people watching.


Of course I sampled a few different types of beers. At the end of the meal I had a cherry beer for dessert. It was very good.


Then I had to go buy a few to bring home. Don't I look happy with my Basket o' Beer?


I really like Brussels but it would be dangerous to live there. It would be a race to see which gave out first, my heart from all the chocolate and waffles or my liver from all the beer. It would be a fun race though.

db

1 comment: