Wednesday 6 March 2013

Good and Bad

I've lived in enough places to know that there are good and bad things about where you live. We've been in Paris for six weeks now and I think that is long enough to decide what's good and bad about living here.

Smoking
Good - They have passed a law banning smoking in public places, which means you no longer have to eat your meal or drink you coffee while sitting in a cloud of smoke.
Bad - Everyone still smokes. Now they just smoke as they walk from work to the cafe or from the cafe to home. When you walk down the street you pass through clouds of smoke everywhere.

Dogs
Good - There are dogs everywhere in Paris. Big ones, little ones and every size in between. Lori and I are dog lovers so it makes us happy to see dogs everywhere.
Bad - No one picks up after their dog. Once again there is a law and I do see people scooping in the middle of the day, but late at night or early in the morning, they just pretend they didn't see anything. You have to keep your eyes on the ground constantly.

Groceries
Good - The food here is excellent. The oranges from Spain, tomatoes from Italy, seasonal mushrooms from France are so good. Even simple things like potato chips are better than in North America.
Bad - It is ungodly expensive to buy food. The general rule is; everything is half the size and twice the price.

Petit Déjeuner (Breakfast)
Good - The coffee is excellent, the croissants are delicious and the pain au chocolat is out of this world. I know I will crave it as soon as I'm back in Canada.
Bad - No bacon. We have found a reasonable facsimile of bacon but it is really thin and doesn't have much taste. Life can be wonderful in France but if you're not eating really good bacon on a regular basis, I'm not sure what the point of it all is.

2 comments:

  1. GOOD ONE DENNIS......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see a pain au chocolat I think of my time in Paris. They don't make pastries in Canada like they do in France, I'm not sure why but its probably butter.

    ReplyDelete