Friday 5 February 2016

Life in Cairns

When I was back in Canada at Christmas, a couple of people told me they wanted to know more about our daily routine and not just the fun things we do. I'm a little hesitant to show more of our life in Port Moresby because it would upset some people (plus I don't like taking my camera out in public) but I don't mind showing you around Cairns.

Lori flew back to PNG early Wednesday morning, so we are both adjusting to life on our own. I had my internet hooked up yesterday so I can watch Netflix and have video chats again, which is great. Today I went for a walk on the esplanade along the shoreline. There were a lot of things I was looking forward to when we decided to get this place, but being able to go for a walk was at the top of my list.

Along the esplanade, there is a man made saltwater lagoon that's open to the public.

You may ask yourself why would they need such a thing when there is a beautiful beach not far away.

This is why.

Australia has great public spaces. They've set up barbecues and picnic areas for everyone to use.

We don't have a vehicle here, but luckily there is a grocery store a short walk away. How many people back in Canada remember these stores?

It's a great store, but this one is my favourite.

I think it's safe to say that I'll be happy here, but I have to be careful not to gloat too much. I sent this picture to Lori while she was at work in Port Moresby and she called me a jerk.

Anyway, that's just a snapshot of our life these days. Next week, I'll make my way to the golf course to see what that's like. Have a good weekend.

db



No comments:

Post a Comment